The Franciscans in Kamnik
The written records of the church of St James go back to 1423. Immediately after moving here, the monks began to the friary next to the church building. At that time, the townspeople of Kamnik lived in fear because of the Turkish invasions and transferred the relics of St. Primus and Felician, located in the Gothic church on the hill of St Primus above Kamnik, to the church in the centre of the town. The chapel of the Holy Sepulchre, the work of renowned Slovenian architect Jože Plečnik, is full of symbolism. In the last years of his life, he created several monuments in Kamnik and its surroundings. The real treasure of the friary is the library, which holds a number of incunabula, including the Dalmatin's translation of the Bible, published in 1584 in Wittenberg. The library does not only contains religious literature, but includes books from several different fields, including the history of medicine.